Saturday, January 24, 2009

Quilling-The paper filigree

Quilling is an ancient art. It is also called paper filigree. Narrow strips of paper is rolled,shaped and arranged to form designs. During the Renaissance, French and Italian nuns and monks used quilling to decorate book covers and religious items. Quilling is one of the easiest craft and it is less expensive.

Materials needed
1.Quilling tool .There are two types slotted tool and needle quilling tool. Any one will do.
2.Quilling paper
4.Protractor or scale with circle templates or quilling board and

Quilling paper strips are available in various colours and widths .Most of these come in 1/8”, 1/4” 3/8” packs. Graduated quilling papers and two tone quilling papers are also available. Graduated Quilling Papers offer a unique look to quilled designs. The graduated papers start as a solid colour on one end of the strip and gradually fade to white at the other end. Two-Tone Quilling Papers can offer another unique look to quilled designs. These papers are a solid color on one side and the other side of the strip is a lighter shade of that same colour Quilling strips can be cut with coloured A4 size bond papers also. Instead of quilling tool a toothpick can be used. If you cut the tip from the eye of a tapestry needle and fixed it on to a ball point pen and got a beautiful slotted quilling tool.The needle tool allows to make small centers in rolls and scrolls which produces more attractive quilling.

No comments: